Stephen Gardner, M.D.
Dr. Stephen Gardner was born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area. An avid soccer player growing up, Dr. Gardner played four years of varsity soccer for the University of California, Los Angeles graduating summa cum laude with a degree in biochemistry and computer programming. He remained at UCLA for medical school where he graduated valedictorian of his class. Dr. Gardner continued his training in Boston, MA at the Harvard Combined Orthopedic Residency Program where he served as Massachusetts General Hospital Chief Resident during his 5th year. After residency, Dr. Gardner returned to Los Angeles to pursue an additional year of training in sports medicine at the prestigious Kerlan-Jobe Orthopedic Clinic. During his fellowship, Dr. Gardner treated both high-level adult and youth athletes and served as assistant team physician for multiple profession and college sports teams.
Dr. Gardner Lives in Costa Mesa with his wife Heather and two sons, Matthew and Gavin. In his free time, he enjoys surfing, golf, skiing, mountaineering and crossfit.
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery (Board-Certified)
- Fellowship Trained, Sports Medicine
- Member of Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Member of American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Member of American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member of California Orthopedic Association
Dr. Gardner believes in providing attentive, compassionate orthopedic care in order to return function and improve quality of life for his patients.
Sports Medicine and Team Affiliations
Dr. Gardner works closely with athletes of all level. As a fellow at Kerlan-Jobe Orthopedic Clinic, Dr. Gardner worked with the 2014 Stanley Cup Champions LA Kings. He also worked as team physician for Loyola Marymount University and provided coverage for the LA Lakers, LA Dodgers, LA Angels of Anaheim, LA Ducks and LA Kiss. He also provided event coverage for the Summer X Games when they were held at the Staples Center. Currently, Dr. Gardner works with many of the local high schools and several professional teams.
Community Orthopedic Medical Group
Dr. Gardner is in private practice and is a partner at Community Orthopedics.
Community Orthopedic Medical Group is one of the largest private orthopedic practices in Orange County. Our orthopedic specialists are adept in orthopedic surgery and physical medicine and rehabilitation (physiatry). COMG orthopedics specialists are experts in surgical orthopedic care, and non-surgical orthopedic techniques aimed at improving function, while minimizing pain. COMG has a superbly trained and compassionate physician team, and an caring support staff.
Everyone at COMG has dedicated their talents to providing you with the finest orthopedic care available.
Our mission is to provide the highest quality, most comprehensive and compassionate orthopedic care.
TOTAL JOINT SURGERY
Dr. Gardner performed hip, knee and shoulder replacements. He is trained in the direct anterior, muscle splitting total hip arthroplasty allowing with short hospital stays and quicker recovery. Dr. Gardner is trained to perform the MAKO robotic-assisted hip and knee replacement ensuring accurate and reproducible implant placement which improves outcomes for his patients.
COMPREHENSIVE FRACTURE CARE
Dr. Gardner takes emergency room trauma call at Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center. Mission Hospital is a level-two trauma serving the entire Southern Orange County area. Dr. Gardner treats all types of orthopedic trauma from closed treatment of simple fracture to operative treatment of complex fractures through out the entire body.
Dr. Gardner performs a majority of his surgies in an outpatient setting utilizing minimally-invasive arthroscopic techniques allowing for less pain and quicker functional recovery. Dr. Gardner has extensive training in shoulder, elbow, hip and knee arthroscopy as well as non-operative orthopedic sports care
- Feeling Weak in the Knees?
- All Knees and Elbows: Preventing ACL Tears and Overthrowing Injuries in Young Athletes
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Gardner ST MD. Weaver MJ MD. Jerabek S MD. Rodriguez E MD. Vrahas M MD. Harris MB MD. Predictors of early failure in young patients with displaced femoral neck fractures. Journal of Orthopaedics 12 (2015), pp. 75-80. PMID: 44210212.
- Gardner ST. Ruchelsman D. Mudgal CS. Concomitant High Energy Fractures of the Distal Radius and Hook of Hamate. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2012 May;37(4):366-7.PMID: 222908813. Bowen RE.
- Gardner ST. Scaduto AA. Eagan M. Beckstead J. Efficacy of Intraoperative cell salvage machines in pediatric idiopathic scoliosis patients undergoing spinal fusion with segmental spinal instrumentation. Spine. 2010 Jan 15;35(2):246-51. PMID: 20081521